The Jyotish science is complimentary to the Ayurvedic medical science. The principles of Jyotish science have been in applied in Ayurvedic science at various places. The month wise description of intrauterine embryonic and foetal development is mentioned in both ancient Ayurvedic and Jyotish science. Modern medical science had made enormous progress in understanding the process of embryogenesis and organogenesis in intrauterine life with modern technical advances. The 5th and 6th month description of foetal development is more precise in Jyotish science than Ayurvedic science. The 1st to 2nd month description of embryonic development is more precise in modern medical science. Hence, there is a need to study the
month wise intrauterine foetal development as per Ayurvedic and Jyotish Science in the light of modern medical embryogenesis. The critical comparison of Ayurvedic and Jyotish science, shows marked similarities between the description of monthly embryonic and foetal development. The extra description mentioned in Jyotish science related monthly foetal development should be incorporated in Ayurvedic science. The description of monthly embryonic and foetal development in Ayurvedic and Jyotish science, can fairly be correlated with modern description of embryogenesis and foetal organogenesis and proper blending of ancient knowledge with modern knowledge could be done.
2. ‘Sushrut Samhita’ of acharya Sushruta with Nibandhsangrah Commentary of acharya Dalhana, edited by Vd. Yadavji Trikamji, published by Chaukhamba Surbharati, Gopal Mandir Lane, Varanasi -221001
3. ‘Ashtang Hrudayam’ of acharya Vagbhata with Sarvansundari tika of acharya Arundutta, edited by Vd. Harishastri Paradkar, published by Chaukhamba Krushnadas Akadami, Gopal Mandir Lane, Varanasi -221001
4. ‘Brihat Jatakam’ of acharya Varaha Mihir, edited and translated in hindi by Pt. Kedarnath Joshi, reprint 2005, published by Motilal Banarasidas, 41, UA Bunglow Road, Jawahar nagar , Delhi-110007
5. ‘Laghu Jatakam’ of acharya Varaha Mihir, edited by Brhmanand Tripathi and translated in hindi by Dr. Kamalakant Pandeya , published by Chaukhamba Surbharati, Gopal Mandir Lane, Varanasi -221001
6. ‘Human Anatomy’ by Dr. B.D. Chaurasiya, 4th edition ,published by CBS Publishers 4596/1, 11, Daryaganj, New Delhi – 110 002
7. ‘Text Book of Obstretics’ by D.C. Dutta, 3rd edition, reprint 1994, published by new central book Agency Pvt. Ltd., 8/1 Chintomoni Das Lane, Calcutta-700 009.
8. O Rahilly R and Muller F. Developmental stages in human embryo. Contrib. Embryol., Caernegie Inst. Wash. 637 (1987)