Nasal obstruction & mouth breathing frequently caused by multiple factors, one of them being hypertrophied adenoid and tonsils. It is perhaps one of the usually discussed reasons for partial airway obstruction & related respiratory abnormalities.
The aim of this article is to provide a lucid illustration of issues pertaining to obstructive breathing and its implication on craniofacial growth.
Inefficient medical management and reluctance to surgery necessitates an alternative and novel non-surgical approach to deal this condition. With the very aim of fulfilling the same this case study was taken which involved intake of Ayurvedic medicines and an adoption of Ayurvedic procedure.
2. Ricketts RM. Respiratory obstruction syndrome. Am J Orthod 1968; 54:495-514 Pereira SR, Bakor SF, Weckx LL.
3. Adenotonsillectomy in facial growing patients: spontaneous dental effects. Braz J Oto-rhino-laryngol. 2011 Sep-Oct;77(5):600
4. Marcus CL. Pathophysiology of childhood obstructive sleep apnea: currents concepts. Respir Physiol., 2000; 119: 143-54.
5. Marcus CL, Hamer A, Loughlin GM. Natural history of primary snoring in children. Pediatr Pulmonol., 1998; 26: 6-11.
6. The effects of enlarged adenoids on a developing malocclusion Dr.Kevin Williams1, Dr. Derek Mahony
7. Diseases of Ear, Nose and Throat & Head and Neck Surgery, 7th Ed., P. Dhingra, Shruti Dhingra, Assisted by Deeksha Dhingra, 275,276.
8. Halbower AC, Marcus CL. Sleep disorders in children. Curr Opin Pulm Med., 2003; 9: 471-6.
9. Anuntaseree W, Rookkappan K, Kuasirikul S, Thongsuksai P. Snoring and obstructive sleep apnea in Thai school-age children: prevalence and predisposing factors. Pediatr Pulmonol., 2001; 32: 222-7.
10. McNamara JA. Influence of respiratory pattern on craniofacial growth. Angle Orthod. 1981 Oct; 51(4): 269-300.
11. Cassano P, Gelardi M, Cassano M, Fiorella ML, Fiorella R. Adenoid tissuerhinopharyngeal obstruction grading based on fiberendoscopic findings: a novel approach to therapeutic management. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2003 Dec; 67(12):1303-9.
13. George Catlin, The breath of life or mal-respiration and its effects upon the enjoyments & life of man, 1864.
14. Wylie, A., "Rhinology and laryngology in literature and Folk-Lore". The Journal of Laryngology & Otology., 1927; 42 (2): 81–87.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.