Main Article Content
Background: Pippali, Piper longum (P.longum) usually called pippali which is a member of the Piperaceae family, is frequently used medicinal herb in Ayurved, Unani & Siddha system of medicine. In traditional medicine world it is being used to treat most of the systemic disorders. This systematic review was conducted with an objective to search, explore & compile the phytochemical constituents & their efficacies both in modern and traditional part to understand as a potential therapeutic agent. Material & method: Published details scientific literature on P. Longum by various research scholars, organizations & Pharmacopeias were reviewed. The review criterion was restricted to bio-efficacy and phyto-pharmacological activities of longum. Results and Conclusions: This review shows various experimental studies conducted on Bio-active compounds isolated from P. longum has prospective uses as anticancer, antilipidemic, antifungal and radioprotective.
2. K R Kiritkar,BD Basu,Indian Medicinal plants, Orients Longman, Mumbai, India (1980),Page 21-28
3. Toussaint-Samat, Maguelonne (2009) . The History of Food. Translated by Bell, Anthea (revised ed.).
4. Blackwell. ISBN 978-0631177418. Rastogi R P ,Malhotra BN, Compendium of Indian Medicinal plants,CDRI,Lukhnow,1993,pp 504-857.(Google scholar)
5. KS Kim et all, Inhibitory effect of piper longuminine on melanin production B16 cell line by down regulation of tyrosinase expression Pigment cell Research,19,2006,pp 90-98
6. SA Lee et all, Methylpiperate derivatives from Piper longum and their inhibition of monoamino oxidase,Arch.Pharm.Res.16,2002,pp. 689-691
7. G Vedhanayaki,et all ,Analgesic Activity of Piper longum,Phytother.Res.41,2003, pp. 649-651
8. Z. Jin et all, Antihyperlipidemic compounds from fruit of Piper longum. 23.2009,pp 1194-1196
9. V Anuradha et all, Isolation and synthesis of isodihydro piper longuminine, Nat Prod Res,18,2004, pp.247-251
10. M Iwashita et all, Inhibitory effect of ethanol extract of Piper longum on rabbit platelet aggregation through antagonizing thromboxane A2 receptor,Phytomedicine,14,2007,pp.853-855
11. KS Natarajan et all, Antioxident activity of salt/spice/herbal mixture against free radical induction, J Ethnopharmacol,105,2006,pp.76-83
12. IB Kaul et all, Evaluation of liver protective potential of piperine an active principal of black and long peppers, Planta med,59,1993, pp.413-417
13. DM Tripathi et all,Antigiardial and immunomodulatory effect of Piper longumon giardiasis due to Giardia lambia, Phytother Res 13,1999,,561-565
14. ES Sunila et all, Protective effect of Piper longum fruit ethanolic extract on radiation induced damages in mice, preliminary study Fitoterapia,76,2005
15. SA Lee et all,Piperine from the fruits of Piper longum with inhibitory effect on monoamino oxidase, Chem Pharm,Bull,53,2005,pp.832-835
16. Lee et all Fungicidal activity of pipernonaline, a piperidine alkaloid derived from long pepper, Piper longum L., against phy- topathogenic fungi. Crop Protection 2001;20:523âˆ’8
17. Priyavrat V.Sharma, Kaiyadev Nighantu,Chaukhambha orientaliya, First Edition 1979,
18. Dr. Krushnachandra Chunekar et all, Shri Bhavamishra, Bhavaprakash Nighantu, , Chaukhambha Bharati Acadamy, Varanasi, 2006, 54-55, Page-14
19. Priyavrat V.Sharma , Shri Chakradatta, Chakradatta Chikitsasangrahagrantha, Chaukhamba Orientalia, Varanasi, 1st edition, 1993, 112, Page- 33.
20. Priyavrat V.Sharma Shri Chakradatta, Chakradatta Chikitsasangrahagrantha, Chaukhamba Orientalia, Varanasi, 1st edition, 1993, Page- 688-89
21. Dr. Satish Chandra Sankhyadhar, Raj Nighantu, Chaukhambha Publication, Varanasi, Jan. 2012, Pippalyadivarga.
22. Dr. Satish Chandra Sankhyadhar, Raj Nighantu, Chaukhambha Publication, Varanasi, Jan. 2012, Pippalyadivarga.
23. Acharya Vidyadhara Shukla et all, Charaka Samhita, Chaukhambha Sanskrit Pratisthan, Delhi. 2012,Vers 8-96, Page- 219
24. Shri Bhramha Shankar Mishra ,Shri Bhavamishra, Bhavaprakashpart 2, ,ChaukhambhaSanskrit Sansthan, Varanasi, 5th edition 1993, Vers130-31, Page-798
25. Shri Bhramha Shankar Mishra,Shri Bhavaprakash part 2, Chaukhambha Sanskrit Sansthan, Varanasi, 5th edition 1993, Vers 175-76, Page -911
26. Acharya Vidyadhara Shukla et all, Charaka Samhita, Chaukhambha Sanskrit Pratisthan, Delhi 2012,Vers 3- 36-40, Page- 30.
27. Dr. Shri Bhaskar Govindaji Ghanekar, Susrut Samhita, Motilal Banarasidas, Delhi, 5th edition 1975
28. Acharya Vidyadhara Shukla et all, Charaka Samhita, Chaukhambha Sanskrit Pratisthan, Delhi 2012, Vers14- 50, Page â€“ 330.
29. Shri Indradev Tripathi, Gadanigraha, shri Vaidya Sodhala,Chaukhambha Sanskrit Sansthan, 3rd edition, 1999
30. D. Chanda et all, Safety evaluation of Trikatu, generic Ayurvedic medicine in Charles foster rats, J Toxicol Sci,34,2009,pp.99-108.