The competitive and hectic lifestyle increases the incidence of muscular disease. Muscle strain usually causes acute pain and occurs during strenuous activity. In the lower leg strain there is sharp pain, tenderness, restricted planter flexion and patient is unable to walk.The line of treatment is PRICE i.e. Protection, Rest, Ice application, Compression, Elevation.
In chikitsa sthanaAcharya Sushruta has described Asthibhagna chikitsa in which the pratan abhigatais explained.This condition closely resembles with muscular strain.In the treatment of patana abhigata he advised to apply sheeta pradeha or Parisheka at the site. Vitiated Vata starts destruction in joints by producing pain and inflammation in joints. In Ayurveda, it is known as Shoola. Shoola can be at any region, but it is caused due to the aggravation of the Vata Dhosha.Narayan Taila is good Vatashamaka.
A 30-year-old female patient diagnosed with left lower leg muscle strain was treated with Parisheka. This procedure was performed daily for 20 minutes followed bykept soaked gauze with Narayana Taila andsimple roller bandage for 7days. Complaints like pain, stiffnessmild swelling, and Range of motion was assessed before treatment and after treatment. At the site of strain there is accumulation of vatadi doshas and due to this viated vata doshaPain gets aggregated.Narayan Taila has Vatashamaka properties and thus Narayana Taila Parisheka reduces pain,stiffness, and improved range of motion.
1. Dr. J. Maheshwari , Essential Orthopaedics, Mehata publication ,9 th Edition 2011, Page no-4.
3. Dr.KavirajAmbikadattaShatri , Susruta Samhita , Chaukhamba SanskutSansthana , Varanasi, Reprint 2014, Volume 1, Chikitsa sthana, Chapter 3, Sholk 47,Page no-31.
4. Dr. Brahmanand Tripathi, Charak Samhita, Chaukhamba Surbharti Prakashan, Varanasi. Reprint-2011, Volume -1, sutra sthana, Chapter 14, Sholk 3., Page no-.286
5. Pandit Sarangadharacarya , Sarangadhara-Samhita, Chaukhamba Surbharti PrakashanaVaranasi,Reprint 2007, Madhyamkhand,Chapter 9, Sholk 101,102,103,104,105,106,107,108,109,110,page no -233.
6. Dr. Brahmanand Tripathi, Charak Samhita, Chaukhamba Surbharti Prakashan, Varanasi. Reprint-2011, Volume -1, sutra sthana, Chapter 14, Sholk 13., Page no-288.
7. Dr.Vasant Patil, Principles and Practice of Panchakarma, Chaukhamba Publications,New Delhi, Reprint-2017,Swedana Karma, Page no-223,247.