Trigeminal neuralgia is a chronic pain condition that affects the trigeminal nerve, which carries sensation from face to the brain. If anyone has this condition, even mild stimulation of face such as from brushing teeth or putting on makeup may trigger a jolt of excruciating pain. Trigeminal neuralgia affects women more often than men and it’s more likely to occur in people who are older than 50 years. Trigeminal neuralgia also called as Tic Douloureux, the function of trigeminal nerve is disrupted. This disorder is not fetal but can be debilitating. Due to the intensity of the pain, some individuals may avoid daily activities or social contact because they fear an impending attack. According to Ayurveda trigeminal neuralgia can be understood as Anantavata. It is explained as diseases of head involving simultaneous vitiation of all tridosha producing sever pain at unilateral side of face. The present article deals with the Ayurvedic approach to the trigeminal neuralgia as Anantavata. Ayurvedic management of trigeminal neuralgia is based on pacifying tridosha.
2. Lindsay K W, Bone I., Neurology and neurosurgery illustrated Section ||| - Facial pain-Trigeminal Neuralgia, 4th ed, Edinburge: Churchill livingstone, 2004, p.-161.
3. Sushruta, Sushruta Samhita with Nibandhasangraha Commentry of Shri Dalhanacharya and Nyayachadrika Commentry of Gayadasacharya. Uttartantra chapter 25/1. Edited by Yadavji Trikamji Acharya. Reprint ed. Varanasi. Chaubhamba Surabharti Prakashan; p.-654.
6. Prof. Dr. N. J. Vidhavans. Shiro-Karn-Nasa and Mukharog Vidyan. Anand Prakashan. Amravati(M.S). 2nd edition. 2011, p.-15.
9. Prof. Dr. N. J. Vidhavans. Shiro-Karn-Nasa and Mukharog Vidyan. Anand Prakashan. Amravati (M.S). 2nd edition. 2011, p.-15-16
10. Vd. Y. G. Joshi. Kayachikitsa. Pune Sahitya Vitaran. Pune. 4th edition. 2001, p.-484.
11. Chaurasia B.D., Handbook of General Anatomy, 3rd edition, New Delhi, CBS Publishers, 2000.
12. Ghanekar Bhaskar Govind, Sushruta; Sushruta Samhita; Sharirasthanam, Reprint 2012, Meharchand Lachhmanda.
13.Sharma P.V. Charak Samhita; Sutrasthanam. Chaukhambh. Reprint 2011.
14.Murthy Shrikantha, K.R. Astang Samgraha of Vagbhata. Edi. 2007. Chaukhambha. Reprint: 2010.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.